Spiritual direction is a ministry of listening to and accompanying another person as they seek to be attentive to God and explore questions, doubts, desires, dreams, and struggles. Christian spiritual direction is biblically grounded and is Trinitarian in focus– recognizing that we are invited into loving relationship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. It can be beneficial to have someone help us discern the ways God is inviting us into the spacious, abundant life he has for us, and that is the role of a spiritual director.
I find that meeting with a spiritual director helps me become more attentive to ways God is at work in my life, and I delight in engaging in conversation with others about spiritual formation and in leading retreats. I am currently working towards my certificate in Spiritual Direction through Leadership Transformation’s Selah Program.
As a spiritual director, I accompany others who desire to draw closer to God by becoming more attentive to his presence, activity, and love. Together we seek to discern Jesus’ voice and his invitation in the varied circumstances of life, whether in upbeat times or when struggling and feeling spiritually weary. Our meetings are times of prayer and listening in the context of a three way conversation, with the Holy Spirit taking the lead as the true director.
What to expect in spiritual direction:
* Meetings are generally monthly, either in person or by Zoom, and are about an hour in length
* Our discussions are in the context of prayerful attentiveness to God, including times of silence to quiet ourselves in his presence.
* Spiritual direction differs from pastoral counseling in focus; while we discuss problems and concerns, the focus is on discerning God’s invitation in the midst of those circumstances, rather than having a problem-solving focus.
* Our conversations are led by the Holy Spirit; I don’t come to them with an agenda, but with a posture of listening.
* As a visual thinker and prayer, I often include art in my own prayer times, and welcome my directees’ creative expressions in prayer and pondering.
* I maintain confidentiality, unless I feel that you or someone else is in danger of serious harm. If that is the case, I will discuss with you what actions I may be required to take.
* I do not charge for spiritual direction, but would encourage donations to your church or other Christian ministry of your choice.
* Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Earth’s crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God:
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.”
Elizabeth Barrett Browning